Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Post Warmer: I can has vampire book?


I'm a big icanhascheezburger fan. Those delightfully-captioned furballs get me every time. I also love Cute Overload. Nothing like clicking on to photos of fuzzy Shetlands and fidgety fennecs to keep one going during a long work week (and this is definitely one of them, oui?).

Ah, but icanhascheezburger is the awesome, I must say.

Especially when one includes a black kitteh (with Kittensley white chest spot!) echoing my current guilty pleasure reads:

humorous pictures

A comparison of fictional bloodsuckers forthcoming - including the Barrow vamp series 30 Days of Night, which scared the crap out of me in movie form, despite Hartnett's wooden acting. Too toothy and messy, methinks...but the story is intriguing, which is why I have every single copy of Steve Niles' frozen bitefest on hold from the library. (I'm still trying to practice the best "these are for my nonexistent kid brother" look for my concerned librarian, who had to hand Laurell K. Hamilton's Incubus Dreams over without an audible "tsk." I think she's starting to worry about me.) Also on the boards:
David Sosnowski's hilarious Vamped, Elizabeth Kostova's Vlad Tepes quest The Historian, and the broadcast-inspired (why do I always feel the connections aren't so far-fetched?) Fangland, written by a former 60 minutes producer (and apparently also in film gestation, with Hilary Swank as the heroine...hrm). It's really interesting how many authors have tried to define and refine the vampire myth.

So stay tuned for biting commentary and a semi-historical breakdown of vamp lore. Are they humans with fangs and a bad blood habit? Or are they monsters who must be shot/staked/beheaded on sight? And what do you prefer - the glamorous undead...or down and dirty fangsiness?


Why do I have a feeling this upcoming post is going to majorly suck?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, for the love of Flannery O'Connor... by the power vested in me by the Holy Spirit and Ina Garten's Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, I COMPEL YOU!

*splashes holy water on monitor*

I kid, I kid. ;)

(And yes, readers, I am planning a review of A Good Man is Hard to Find.)

Unknown said...

Speaking of eternal life:

Baba Wawa's book Audition. MUST HAVE.